Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bacchus Socks.

So, I am now just a little worried about getting these posts out, as I have been asked to "Bring it." Oof. Just so you know, the limiting step in getting these posts out is the photography. I'll hope for some sunlight in Chicago over the weekend so I can get some decent photos!


The Bacchus socks were completely unplanned. You see, after viewing the Fall 2008 IK preview online, I opted not to buy the magazine. Nothing jumped out at me. And then, as it has since I joined, Ravelry made trouble for me. In the form of the Estes Vest (which I am now not so sure about...I'm fickle like that). So, while visiting my family for Thanksgiving, I bought a copy for the vest pattern. And noticed the Bacchus socks. I also noticed that Studio Knit (the yarn shop my mom works at) carries Shibui Sock.

So, a week or so later, I had these socks.

Which is odd, because I generally don't go for fancy-pants sock patterns (or, uh, sock patterns at all...this is a new obsession for me). And yet, here I am. With two pairs of these socks (the second was a Christmas gift for my Mom -- unfortunately, I forgot to get photos of those (I knit them with Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Navy) -- just imagine the same socks in Navy blue, with fewer pooling issues).

Stats:
Pattern: Bacchus Socks, Interweave Knits Fall 2008 Issue
Yarn: Shibui Sock, Bark, 2 skeins
Needles: Addi Turbo Lace, US 1
Date Started: December 1st, 2008
Date Completed: December 7th, 2008

Modifications:
Used Judy's Magic Cast-On (with the modification described in the other sock pattern from IK Fall 2008) to cast-on 20 st (instead of 24).

Added 3 more rows after the toe, before the chart, to adjust for foot length (I wear a US 7.5 shoe).

Knit an extra pattern repeat for the leg (I hate leftover yarn). I wouldn't go any further than that -- any more, and I would have had to work in some calf increases. Note: with the Lorna's Laces yarn, I had quite a bit left over after making the same socks (same modifications, etc.)...probably enough for a pair of socks for a toddler.

Knit 12 rows for the cuff.



The pattern is clear and very well-written. I love the way the "vine" curls around the ankle bone. I was talking to my Mom, wondering why I liked these socks when I tend to prefer geometric patterns/more minimalist styles, and she said that she found the "organic" look to the design appealing (her tastes run similar to mine....wow, how time changes things -- if she's reading this, I bet my mom is laughing right now).

My only problem with these socks (I've come to accept the pooling) is that I need to buy a great pair of shoes to wear them with (is that actually a problem?). For now, I wear them in the house when I want to feel fancy. Heh.

4 comments:

Virtuous said...

I am lovin' the vines on those socks too! Great Shibui color despite the pooling!

Haha@ Bring it pressure. Yep! We want to see it! Dark photos and all! ;op LOL

Charisse said...

They look great :) I've been wanting to make these socks for a while, now I want to cast on straightaway!

Shannon said...

Those are great socks! I can't believe they only took you a week! I've used my sock leftovers to knit Christine's Stay-On Baby Booties (pattern is on Rav), great way to use it up if you know anyone having a baby!

emmms said...

Those look fantastic! Alice is such a great designer and you really do the pattern proud.

Have you decided what shoes are you going to get for them?