Sunday, August 17, 2008

Baby Bobbi Bear.

And another lingering project has been finished...


I promise that the ears are actually even -- they look pretty wonky in this photo, though....

Stats:
Pattern: Baby Bobbi Bear
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton, Sand, 2 skeins (used about 1.5), and Filatura di Crosa Wave, small amount of dark brown
Needles: KnitPicks Options Circulars, US 8
Notions: Corn-based stuffing (yup, they make that stuff out of corn, now)
Date Started: March 2008
Date Completed: August 13, 2008

Modifications:
Went down one needle size in order to get a denser fabric.

I'm sorry I don't have a better photo of the bear, but I took that about an hour before it was gifted to my nephew -- hopefully, someday, I'll have photos of my nephew with it (he at least didn't hate it when we gave it to him!).

This is the first toy I've ever knit. Even though I'm happy with the finished product, I'm not sure I like knitting toys all that much -- it took me far longer to finish this than planned. Mostly because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so this bear was stuffed twice, the ears were sewn on about 4 times, the nose was embroidered about 4 times, etc. I had to put it down a few times and revisit it, because I refused to infuse a baby's gift with rage (no problems infusing my own garments with it, though). I think I'll be giving Sheldon a try in the future, but that may be it for me. I'm a garment person.

Even so, I think it's a great pattern -- clearly written and cleverly constructed. And I'm a big fan of the yarn.

Ravelympics update:

So, like so many others, I got into this Ravelympics thing. I entered the Sweater Sprint, knitting for Team Guild of Calamitous Intent (Venture Bros., the best cartoon on the air). I will, hopefully, have a completed Tempest (no stripes) by the end of the games. Right now? I have a back and two fronts, and a partial sleeve. I'm not worried about completing the knitting. I am, however, a little concerned about all of the finishing this sweater requires... We'll see.

3 comments:

Team Knit ! said...

It's so cute! I have seen this in a lot of ravelry queues lately, and no wonder- adorable!!

- Julie

Sarah said...

This is really cute. I just saw this place here that sells knitted toys for kids/babies/adults. They are SO cute: http://www.larkmade.com/lines/knits.html

angie said...

Your baby bobbi bear is too cute! =)