Monday, July 21, 2008

Pom Pom Peds.

Yes, I'm back. It's been an eventful summer! I've gotten back into running (now that I live in a neighborhood conducive to it), I've continued the job search (blergh), and I've been knitting. I have quite the backlog of FOs to post about.

Of course, I'll be posting them in no particular order. Okay, there's an order. It's whatever I can photograph easily at the time.


And, first-up? My second pair of socks. What happened to the first? Well, I finished them. Yeah, yeah, it took me 3 years. But they're done, and I like them quite a bit. Unfortunately, they're kind of hard to photograph. D'oh. So, I'll post about those another day (at the rate I'm posting, you'll see them in November...just kidding...oh man, I hope I'm kidding).

Stats:
Pattern: Pom Pom Peds, by Whitney Van Nes
Yarn: Louet Gems Fingering Weight in Ginger and Teal
Needles: Addi Turbo Lace 32" circulars, US 1
Notions: Pom Pom maker (Clover)
Date Started: June 4th, 2008
Date Completed: July 6th, 2008 (I took a break after the first sock...I really should know better by now)


Modifications:
Went down one needle size (based on other sock projects using this yarn on Ravelry).
I knit a twisted rib cuff, mainly because I felt like it.
Adjusted the pattern for magic loop.
Ended the toe with 16st. remaining on the needles (I have duck feet).

The pattern is pretty much perfect as is. If I were to knit it again (and I probably will), I would probably make the ribbed portion slightly longer, just because I don't like my socks to ride so low (though if I do that, I may forgo the pom pom). This is a great sock pattern for those of us who suffer from second sock syndrome, given that there's no leg. Just a short cuff before you get to the fun of the heel flap, etc.

I'm going to make a genuine effort to post my backlog of FOs in a timely manner...I can't believe how badly I've neglected this blog. D'oh!

5 comments:

CraftyGryphon said...

Seeing these little socks just made me smile. (I thought I was the only one who knit blue and orange together!)

LEO said...

Ooooo those are CUTE!

I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS - HAVE NO CHOICE said...

I had downloaded the original pattern a few days ago and have been looking for someone's pattern that had converted to magic loop.

This will be my first pair of socks so need instructions on how to go from double points to magic loop. Also wanted to do them two at a time...

Did you write out the directions for magic loop? If so, could you post them?

Thank you!

I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS - HAVE NO CHOICE said...

I have started these pompom peds. This is my first sock try and I am doing it on magic loop. Did you write the instructions down for magic loop? Maybe, since it is my first sock try, I should have started with a real sock. I have knit the three rows after the ribbing but am now lost trying to figure out the heel flap. If I do it like she says, the heel flap will be on the opposite side of my starting. I would prefer my starting to be at the back, where the heel should be (had a rough start). I am trying with worsted weight to learn.

Amanda said...

Given that I knit these socks back in 2008...

I'm sorry that I am not going to be of much help. I did not write instructions for magic loop, as the only difference is the number of stitches per needle - I keep the top stitches on one needle and the bottom (heel) stitches on the other needle (so I can just work back and forth on one needle for the heel). The start for a top-down sock, for me, is usually on the side.

Any sock pattern can be converted to magic loop - do you have the magic loop booklet or some other source of directions? That would tell you how to convert. I'm sorry I am not of more help, but I haven't knitted a sock in over three years (I'm a sweater knitter, really) and did not write any instructions for this pattern...

I apologize for the tardy response - I pretty much abandoned my blog back in 2009...