Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Crusoe.

Here they are...three years in the making.


I honestly thought my "second sock syndrome" was terminal. I finished the first sock in April. April 2005. Yes, it took me 3 years to knit a second sock. Okay, it really only took me a few days. I started the second sock right after I finished the first (good), but I got distracted and started something else (bad). About a year and a half ago, I picked up my sock again (good!), but set it back down after only a few rounds because, again, I got distracted (bad!).

Stats:
Pattern: Crusoe, from the Spring 2003 Knitty
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in Black Purl, 2 skeins
Needles: Addi Turbo 40" circular, US 2
Date Started: March 2005 (!)
Date Completed: April 2, 2008



Modifications:
Changed the stitch count to accommodate my gauge swatch (yes, I knit a swatch for this -- one of the only times I've ever done it...I used to be so responsible...sigh).

Ribbed cuff instead of rolled cuff.
Different heel/gusset -- I used the one described in the magic loop booklet (I was very new to sock knitting, new to magic loop, so I more or less used the Crusoe stitch pattern with the sock directions in the magic loop booklet).
Finished toe at 16st total (grafted with Kitchener stitch) -- I have duck feet (as mentioned previously).

I've been making an effort to clear-out my WIP basket (er, WIP basket = giant plastic bag in our room o' junk, uh, guest room). I took care of Earl last fall. This spring, I couldn't get this freakin' sock out of my head. So, I picked it up again. And finished it the next day. What? I remember that knitting my first sock was a long, tedious process -- I have vivid memories of spending Easter Sunday at my friend's apartment, knitting and knitting and knitting, and getting only about 1.5 inches of sock out of it. I'm sure this contributed to my reluctance to pick up that second sock and finish it. I suppose I'm a much faster knitter than I was 3 years ago...which makes enough sense. My first sock was not only my...uh...first sock, but my first time knitting in the round (magic loop), and first time knitting with needles smaller than a US 8. And yeah, I know I was a bit ambitious choosing this pattern for my first sock (especially given the modifications I made). But after the shock of knocking out a second sock in no time flat (compared to my expectations), I may actually knit more socks (and I did -- here's where I confess that I wrote the bulk of this blog post back in April...sigh). Though doing them in a sport-weight sounds nice...

...and now that I've washed and worn these socks a few times, I will absolutely knit more (and I have). I had heard about the wonders of handknit socks many, many times. While I believed it, it was in a "well, sure, but you're kind of making a bigger deal out of it than it should be" way. I was wrong. They're just so....perfect. Comfortable, warm. And while I didn't love knitting with such fine yarn and small needles, the Lorna's Laces yarn holds-up exceedingly well. Washer and dryer (er, not on purpose -- I went to take them out part-way through the cycle, and they were already dry...d'oh), and they still look new. I would probably go down to US 1 needles if I were to use Lorna's again, though. And I'd stick to the solid colorways -- I'm not a fan of the pooling (but I still love the socks).

I may actually manage to catch-up on my posting in a reasonable amount of time. Color me amazed...

4 comments:

Lauren said...

good for you for finishing such a lingering project! it's inspiring me to pull out my long-lasting WIPs and at least look at them and see what's really left to do...

CraftyGryphon said...

Okay, you've given me hope that someday I'll finished all my UFOs.

Some of which date back to the 90's.

The EARLY 90's. (!)

Team Knit ! said...

Your socks are saweosme! And thanks for saying that it took 3 years to get it to FO status, it makes me feel so much better about my Central Park Hoodie, which is 90% done, yet somehow languishing in the WIP basket for over a year.... sigh.

- Julie

Amanda said...

Okay, I don't have anything from the early 90's, but I wasn't knitting back then...

But, Julie, you aren't the only one with an unfinished Central Park Hoodie in their WIP basket (mine's only about 40% done, though). I'd really like to finish it before the end of this coming fall/winter.