Monday, April 7, 2008

Raspy.

Another knit I finished awhile ago...so much for my blogging mojo. I have a few other finished projects to post, but it's been hard to find the time or motivation. I've even worn (and washed) this a few times, but hadn't managed to get any photos until this last weekend.


Stats:
Pattern: Raspy, from Denim People, modified XS
Yarn: Elann Den-M-Nit in Black, 12 balls
Needles: Knitpicks Options Circulars, US 4 and 5
Date Started: February 9
Date Completed: Mid-March

Modifications:
Went down one needle size -- I like the resulting fabric (from my experience knitting the Indigo Ripples skirt).

Knit both the body and sleeves in the round up to the armholes -- the only thing I hate more than seaming is knitting a big ol' gauge swatch in order to have a source of laundered, pre-shrunk, yarn with which to seam.

Used a slip-stitch edging along the sleeve and armhole edges -- I really like the clean looking seams this gave me (see picture). A great idea pillaged from Brooklyn Tweed.


Reduced the body by 10 stitches...in retrospect, I should have left this a little bigger. Then again, if this behaves like so many of my cotton sweaters and knit shirts do, this will grow in width over time anyway.

Adjusted the waist shaping/sleeve increases for row gauge.

Skipped some of the dropped stitches -- mainly on the upper back and upper sleeve portions of the sweater.

Added some slight short row shaping to the neckline of the front piece of the body -- I think I should have done more, and will definitely do so when I...

...let's pause for a moment to let the stupidity sink in...

...

...knit ANOTHER one of these for my BOYFRIEND (in the style of Brooklyn Tweed). In the same yarn. Oh, I am going to be bored out of my gourd. I have a lucky, lucky boyfriend. I hope I also have a patient one. And hopefully, once it's over, I'll still have a boyfriend (yes, I am well aware of the curse, but I'm a rebel like that -- besides, he asked nicely, and chose both the pattern and the yarn). This is a man who made room for my yarn stash by throwing out his own clothing (okay, okay not all of it) when I moved into his tiny one bedroom apartment (we're moving to a larger one at the end of the month -- he's already asked me where I want to keep my yarn in the new place). I won't even get into how gracefully he's handled the crazy (ie, finishing graduate school, moving to a new city, etc). I think he's earned a sweater. At least.

11 comments:

Virtuous said...

Ooh yeah he SO earned his right for a sweater! It will be all good! ;o)

I am finally going to start my ripple skirt! LOL

Team Knit ! said...

It looks grat and it's fanstic that you have already been wearing it so mucH! Those raspy sweaters always make me think of The Matrix, though... same kind that Trinity wears!

- Julie

Elizabeth said...

It looks fab! I love those placed dropped stitches. You're awesome to knit one for your boyfriend - but you're right, sounds like he really deserves it.

Ceylan said...

Raspy looks great on you! I've had that one in my queue for a while and really want to make one...so in love with making items in denim.

winnie said...

well if the boy is considerate enough to throw out his clothes for your yarn, i guess he deserves a sweater of his own.

I've been thinking about making another raspy myself, but for me. i don't think i am gracious enough to make sweaters for others just yet. :)

delurking to comment.

LEO said...

Your raspy looks great! I myself have been working on one of those. I've knit each piece flat, though, and I've been wondering how to shrink that yarn for seaming without driving myself insane. Ugh.

Amanda said...

Thanks, everyone!

LEO, yeah, I had to knit a swatch and wash it with the rest of the sweater -- unraveled it after washing it to use it for seaming. Ugh. I made sure to knit a large enough swatch so I could use it for my boyfriend's sweater, too.

lekkercraft said...

CUTE! You and your guy in matching sweaters. You'll have to wear them to Cedar Point together :)

I love the raspy pattern, and your's looks so good on you. I love how it just has a slight post-apocalyptic look to it, but really wearable and not too extreme.

Octopus Knits said...

Very nice! My goodness... it does sound like he deserves a sweater (or two) : )

Shelly said...

Just found your blog and love it! I think we have a similar body type and complexion, which is great, particularly since I like all the projects you've chosen - the pictures are really helpful in determining how my queued projects will look on me. Although, you're much more photogenic than I and your knitting skill is far greater. Awesome work!

itsjustmeghan said...

Thanks for the wellwishes on bob! i appreciate them!
yeah, my brother shut down the server i had my other blog on, so i shrugged my shoulders, and have been using the stitch it blog instead. just easier that way! i love the new sweater....i have some cotton coming my way, so i might consider knitting that one up!

i hope that chicago is treating you well!! good luck on the job hunt (if you haven't found one already!)

meghan