Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Oof.

And with that, 2007 is over. What a year. Not one I'm in a mood to relive anytime soon.

Since I haven't posted in ages, I'll answer some burning questions you may have (or may not have, as is most likely):

How did that defense go?
Surprisingly well. Whew!

So, you're finished with school?
Er....no. But all I have left is to bind and turn-in the final copies of my thesis.

Enough of this school stuff, what did you wear for the defense?
Ha. Retro Redux over a nice shirt -- thankfully, I associate it with good things, now.

When are you going to move?
Last week (!). I left flaming tire tracks in Cambridge 3 days after my defense. After a lovely (but too short) break in Ohio with my family, I moved to Chicago, with some (massive) help from the boyfriend.

Been knitting anything?

I made another trinity stitch hat for my sister for Christmas -- I finished it on Christmas Eve. I knit this one out of two strands of slate blue Debbie Bliss Rialto (superwash merino) held together. It's a nice yarn (I used about 2 and 2/3 balls -- learned how to knit from both ends of the ball for this hat when I got to that last ball). I did the decreases a little differently on this one (mostly because I couldn't really remember what I did the first time), and I think it came out really well. My sister wore it out the door on Christmas, so I assume she liked it. Unfortunately, I didn't think to get any pictures of it....d'oh.


I started knitting the Bubble Pullover from Knitting Nature on Christmas Day (and I did manage to get a picture of this one). You can see a few lovely finished versions here, here and here. I haven't had much time to work on it since I arrived in Chicago, but I've finished the pentagons and am working on the sleeves. It's such a fun, clever design! I'm knitting mine out of Plymouth's Suri Merino in charcoal gray: like many before me, I'm knitting this in a finer yarn on smaller needles in order to get a more fitted silhouette (pre-blocking, the pentagons measure 9" across for a 36" bust (mine is 32")). It's nice stuff (though it sheds a bit when you knit with it). I'm stash busting....with my mom's stash. It still counts though, right? My mom knit a gorgeous cabled sweater out of this stuff a year ago, and had nearly a whole bag left-over. And she let me have it. Woo!

I'd like nothing more than to hibernate for a week or so and churn this out, but unfortunately, I now have to find a job (and finish the revisions for my thesis, etc). Oh well. I suppose this means that I'm finally approaching adulthood.

12 comments:

Susan said...

I love the Knitting Nature book and haven't knit anything from it, though. I might have to make that a 2008 goal - the bubble pullover does look great!

LEO said...

Hey, welcome to Chicago!

KNITSABELLA said...

Job? Psssh what is this "adulthood" you speak of?

Congratulations on your defense, all the faboo knitting that you've gotten in during the past few weeks, and on your move to the Windy City. Good luck with the job search! I'm sure someone with all this graduate level knowledge will have little trouble with that ;-)

emmms said...

Congrats on the defence! I'm just gettting started on mine, so I've a few years yet, but seriously the mere thought of it makes me nervous.

Also, nicely done on the pullover. That yarn looks sumptuous.

Virtuous said...

Yah!! Good stuff! Congratulations!!!
LOL @ burn rubber! :o)

I wish you well in Chicago!

Can't wait to see what you knit up 2008! ;o)

kelly said...

Hey, that's my next project, too. I love knitting school dropout's version, and I happen to have the exact same yarn in my stash. Just waiting for the book to come in at the yarn store.

Kelly Ann said...

Congrats on the defense! I did mine about 8 years ago...about 2 weeks before my wedding. Getting married was a great day, finishing the PhD was just as great!

Welcome to Chicago as well...I ran across you on ravelry (I was looking at the trinity stitch hat pattern).

itsjustmeghan said...

yeah! and welcome to chicago land! if you ever want to meet up, let me know! i'm out in the suburbs, but not ashamed to admit that! hahaha

can't wait to see what you knit up now that you don't have homework!

gkg said...

Congrats! As a grad student, expecting to finish circa 2025, I am impressed and jealous.

Team Knit ! said...

I've nominated you for a You Make my Day Award! Consider yourself tagged.

- Julie

James said...

Yes, welcome to Chicago and congrats on finishing your defense. I'm waiting for the day my mom over-buys yarn and shares the wealth. Hmmm. That's probably unhealthy.

Octopus Knits said...

Congratulations on your defense and good luck with the revisions! I can't wait to see how your Bubble Pullover turns out : )