Friday, December 7, 2007

Trinity Stitch Hat

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments in my last post -- thanks so much! It's such a relief to be near the end. Even if I still haven't really recovered from having had to work so hard to turn my thesis in.

Anyway, I wasn't kidding when I said I'd get back to knitting now that my document has been submitted...


Granted, hats are pretty fast. I forgot how much I like knitting them.

I really want to knit the Retro Redux shrug from Lace Style (I have it in my head that I'd like to wear it to my defense), but it's getting awfully cold in Boston. I'm one of those people who generally won't don a hat until they absolutely have to, and it's officially that time of year.

Only one problem. I have no hair. Okay, I do have hair, but I have very short hair, and very short hair + all of my hats = ew. Close-fitting caps make my head look rather...pumpkin-esque.

Enter the Trinity Stitch Hat. I had been thinking of making a slouchy hat with this particular stitch pattern for ages, so it was nice to see a pattern come out.

Stats:
Pattern: Trinity Stitch Hat, by BreadnBadger from Craftster
Yarn: Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Chunky in Red Ink, two balls (with about half a yard leftover, if that)
Needles: US 8 (ribbing) and US 10
Date Started: December 4th
Date Completed: December 6th

Modifications:
A bunch. I changed the stitch pattern. After knitting about half the hat, I thought that my hat wasn't looking as "bumpy" as it should have. Some internet sleuthing revealed that most people consider trinity stitch to be *k1,p1,k1 into same stitch, p3tog*, repeat from *, as opposed to *p1,k1,p1 into same stitch, p3tog*, repeat from *. So, I ripped back to the ribbing, and started over. I'm glad I did -- I definitely prefer the look of this to what I had before.

I used a tubular cast-on for the ribbing.

I cast-on 70st instead of 69, and increased to 112 instead of 104 to account for changes in gauge (predicted gauge, still too lazy to do a swatch).

I did the decreases a bit differently, mainly because I knew I was quickly running out of yarn, and I also began them at 6.5 inches instead of at 7 inches.

I lurve this hat. I took it for a test drive this morning (if I look rosy-cheeked in the pictures, it's because I took them right after I got to work), and it's fabulous. It covers my ears, doesn't make my head look like a pumpkin, and it even gave me minimal hat hair. What else could a girl ask for?


More slouchy hats, apparently. I'll be knitting more of them (in different patterns, since I get bored easily!).

18 comments:

Ink and Indigo said...

Gorgeous! And congrats on the submission. x

lekkercraft said...

cute cute cute! you've sold me - i totally want to make one now! it looks really great on you.

Melissa said...

A very cute hat -- and looks great with a short (and very cute) haircut!

Rubys & Purls said...

Your hat looks great! Awesome job and thanks for all the modification notes.

I ran right over and printed the patter. I've had one skein of Cascade 128 just waiting to be knit into a hat!

LotusKnits said...

The hat is really cute, and it looks great on you!

Virtuous said...

The hat looks great on you and I luv the red ink color!!

Thanks for your mod notes!

Team Knit ! said...

Looks fantastic! And how satisfying was that, to churn out a great little FO like that?! The red is fabulous.
- Julie

orata/featherandfan.wordpress.com said...

Love the hat! It's so cute.

Octopus Knits said...

The hat is lovely on you - great job!

jenna said...

Super cute! I just finished one of these for my sister and I'm seriously considering knitting one for myself! Hmmm...maybe in red...

SockMama said...

I love how yours turned out. I'm most of the way done with mine and I have the same 'this isn't right' feeling. I wish I would have found your mods sooner! I think I'll finish this one as the pattern is written and knit the next one with your mods (Christmas presents galore).

Thanks for sharing your details. :)

Jamie said...

This looks fabulous! I'm glad I read your mods before attempting this myself ...

itsjustmeghan said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the hat! i was looking at slouchy hats earlier this week, of course you'd find the perfect one!
I hope you have a wonderful holiday, Dr.
let me know when you're in chi-town!

Teal said...

I adore this hat and appreciate your sharing the modifications to the pattern. I've started knitting it, with your changes, and am on the decrease portion. Did you follow the instructions there (aside from starting the decreases sooner and doing them more often), or did you change them? I found the instructions a bit tricky to follow. An online instruction (link below) for the decrease seems much easier to follow, but I wonder if you employed a different method for the five to one decrease. If so, I would love your pearls of wisdom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lj1G67UhhI

Thank you so much!

Amanda said...

Teal, if I remember correctly, I just did the decreases the same way they were called for in the pattern. Looked fine to me...

Teal said...

Okay, I will just dive in and do it. Thank you!

Juan said...

I adore how your hat turned out. So much that I'm trying to make my own with your modifications. I was wondering if I could ask you a couple quick questions.

1. Did you straight purl/knit on your increase row? You seem to have a really solid line before the Trinity stitch

2. What kind of increases did you uses? I like to use the cast one or lift method.

Thanks! It's just looks so great that I don't want to mess it up. (It's Christmas knit time!)

Amanda said...

Juan,

It's been nearly two years since I knit the hat, so my memory is a little rusty. I am fairly sure that I knit straight across on the increase row (since the hat is knit inside-out -- it looks that way in the pictures, given that there's a row of purl bumps after the ribbing), and I'm about 90% sure I used a lifted increase, because I absolutely prefer those to m1 increases and use them whenever possible.

Hope that helps, and happy knitting!