Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Retro Redux

Just in time for my next defense-related freak-out...


Stats:

Pattern: Retro Redux Shrug, from Lace Style, 38" size (modified)
Yarn: Blue Sky Alpacas Dyed Cotton in Ink, 2 skeins
Needles: US 8, 9, 10, and 10.5
Date Started: December 7th
Date Completed: December 11th


Modifications:
Very few. I did a tubular cast-on and bind-off for the sleeves, but the bind-off was so fiddly (and not quite as clean-looking as the cast-on) that I knew there was just no way I'd be willing to repeat it for the collar/edging. Instead, I bound-off in the traditional manner, but with a US 10 needle to make sure it remained loose enough so the collar would fold over nicely. The only other modification I made was in shortening the "body" of the shrug by about 2 inches (which also affected the number of stitches picked-up for the edging). I did this because 1) I'm really narrow through the shoulders and rib cage, and 2) I was knitting in cotton and I wanted some insurance if it stretched-out a bit.

Speaking of cotton and stretching....thankfully, Blue Sky Cotton takes surprisingly well to a dryer. It was looking a bit sad (and very stretched-out) when I took it out of the sink (I still don't have the courage to throw it in the washer), so into the dryer it went. I assume that I can re-block via dryer if this ever stretches-out (hey, it always works with my jeans and tank tops!).

This pattern is very straightforward and a pretty fast knit. I like this shrug more than the other one I've knit (the Two-Toned Shrug from Fitted Knits), mainly because I appreciate the extra length in the back of the garment, though the Two-Toned Shrug doesn't have the slight bagginess where the sleeves meet the back due to its raglan construction. If I were to make this again, I would probably knit it in wool or a wool blend, just because I know that the ribbing along the bottom edge will stretch with wear and I want the bottom ribbing to cling and not hang loosely (this will be visiting the dryer regularly, I think). However, I don't regret using this yarn -- it's so soft, and I think it will see a bit more wear through the seasons since it's made of cotton.


I do think that this'll see a lot of wear, probably more so in the warmer months. I haven't decided if I'll wear it for my defense, though it's definitely dressy enough (at least by scientist standards). I'm bound and determined to wear a hand-knit item for my defense (which better go well, or else I'll have a hard time not associating the chosen knit with "epic fail"). I'd say it's between this shrug and Fad Classic.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's great! I love my Retro Redux - I wear it all the time in the summer. So I think you're right it will probably get more wear when the weather warms up.

Good luck with your defense!

Susan said...

I think your Retro Redux looks great! I din't have any interest in making this project until I saw yours. I think you should make another Redux in a coordinating color for your Fad Classic and wear both!

Melissa said...

I made one too in Reynolds Rapture (discontinues) and I love it. I think your Redux looks great and good luck with your defense!

Octopus Knits said...

Very pretty! Good luck with your defense : )

KNITSABELLA said...

I really like the Retro Redux on you! And such a nice color. Maybe the professors at your defense will be equally impressed by the shrug and will spend the time admiring your knitting and blocking skills in addition to your scientific brilliance.

As for the "epic fail" garment dilemma, I think a good solution would be to do a knitting swap with someone - they'll get the Retro Redux, and knit you something else! Everyone will win. Not that you will ever need to put this contingency plan into effect, since your defense will go smashingly!

Rah rah rah!