Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Ow.

Well, folks, I did it. I'm not finished yet, but I turned-in my thesis (all 183 pages of it, including 59 figures) yesterday. And then slept for 15 hours. And woke-up feeling as if I'd been hit by a truck. Four consecutive all-nighters will do that to a person (okay, I did get a couple hours of sleep in the mornings, since I never work well early in the day)...I think, after the first or second night, my body had given-out, and I was running on adrenaline.

I'd show you a picture of how I looked afterwards, but I don't want to give anyone nightmares (my defense committee chair, who called me "almost-Dr." when I gave him his copy of my dissertation (I swear, I could have hugged him when he said that), said I looked good. I don't believe that for a second).

In the meantime, here's Henry. I finished him weeks ago, but didn't really have the time to post, even though I had taken the (as always, not very good) pictures.


Stats:
Pattern: Henry, from this Fall's Knitty
Yarn: Sarah's Yarns 2-ply 100% Cashmere in Peacock, two skeins
Needles: Addi Turbo circulars, US sizes 2 and 3
Date Started: Hell if I know.
Date Completed: See previous answer.

Modifications:
I only knit 6.5 repeats, since I was running low on yarn (which is my own fault, since I pitched some of this when it got badly tangled while winding it into balls).



I think this took me about a month and a half, give or take, but mostly because I had a LOT going on in my life. Yeah, writing a disseration is just a little time-consuming.

I feel a little conflicted about Henry. He's a little delicate for my taste, even if I do find the stitch pattern beautiful. Maybe the yarn was too fine, I don't know. If I were to make it again, I would do it in a sport-weight. I also don't really care much for the edging. I will be honest here and confess that I totally messed-up the bind-off, which was not well-explained in the pattern (to me). I have Veronik Avery's new book (you should get it, it's awesome), and she explains this bind-off really well in it. Unfortunately, I did not notice it until after I finished the scarf. Though, really, it's the cast-on edge that bothers me. And it's probably because I didn't take out the provisional yarn as soon as I should have.

Regardless, the scarf is amazingly soft, and I do get compliments on it.

And now? I have two weeks to my defense, and two weeks and a few days until I move out of town. Yikes. But, I think I have a little bit of breathing room and can pick-up the needles again. Which is great, because I miss it. Maybe a hat, maybe the Retro Redux shrug from Lace Style. Something small(ish).

But before that? More sleep.

10 comments:

LEO said...

Wow - congratulations!

Amanda said...

Congrats! Henry looks fantastic, your patience is admirable with that pattern!

LotusKnits said...

Congrats on finishing your dissertation! What a relief! And Henry looks lovely on you!

Elizabeth said...

Congrats almost-Doctor! That's great news. Bask in the glow...

Virtuous said...

YAH!!! @ your submission! I am sure you will do wonderful during your defense.

You are putting my knitting time commitment to shame in comparison! ;op

Can't wait to call you Dr. soon! :o)

Happy moving too! Take care!

Team Knit ! said...

Almost-doctor! That must have felt great. I think your Henry is lovely, it's too bad you don't love it. Maybe a gift? Hope you are enjoying all that extra sleep.
- Julie

KNITSABELLA said...

Hurrah!!!! Congratulations on turning in your thesis!!! It must be such a great feeling to be an almost-Dr. Good luck with the defense (that was probably simultaneously my favorite and least favorite part of the process) and the move. You can do it!

jenna said...

I love Henry! The fabric looks like it has incredibly beautiful drape.

Congrats on handing in your dissertation! What a load off. I'm sending you thoughts of sleep and wine and brownies---all three, since I don't know which you would most prefer. :)

Kuka said...

yay congratulations on handing in!!

beverlyanne said...

Congratulations! What a wonderful feeling that must be to have it over with. I am a new visitor to your blog and like it very much. I put you in the blogroll of my new blog, obsessed with knitting, but I don't get many visitors yet, so you might not get many hits from me.
I love the Henry scarf and would consider making it for a non-scarf wearing man, but I am afraid it would take forever.
Beverly