Thursday, September 13, 2007

Escape from Sleeve Island.

Yeah, anyone who has knit a sweater knows what I'm talking about.

The Minimalist Cardigan is getting there, slowly but surely (emphasis on slowly). I'm on the last sleeve at this point. Since I sew as I go, here are a couple pictures of my unblocked, one-armed work-in-progress.

The front (with a bonus view up my nostrils, lucky you!):


And the back:


I still love looking at (and feeling-up!) moss stitch, though I am officially sick of knitting it. I will say, though, that I am rather proud of my seaming on that sleeve. It took awhile to figure out -- there's a reason I usually move decreases a couple stitches away from the edge. The sweater body seems a touch tight at this point, but the moss stitch fabric is exceedingly stretchy, and those stockinette borders are currently tubes (which better sort itself out in blocking -- I expect there to be rolling, but tubes...well, tubes are not acceptable!).

I have made a number of minor adjustments to the pattern, which I'll write out when the whole thing is finished.

And even more excitement...the Fall Knitty is up! The one pattern that really leapt out at me is Henry -- that's the perfect man scarf. I may even knit if for my boyfriend if he approves -- seriously. For me, knitting a scarf out of fingering weight yarn is true love, right there. Though, if he doesn't like it, I may just have to make it for myself. Because hey, I love myself too.

I'm also liking Foliage and Totally Autumn. The sweaters aren't jumping out at me much (I've already knit a very similar sweater to Mr. Greenjeans), except maybe for Neiman, and I'm not much of a sock knitter.

And if these aren't cute, I don't know what is!

6 comments:

The Amy said...

The sweater's looking great! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Virtuous said...

Yes the sweater is looking nice! I love moss/seed stitch!

Mmh great tips about decrease a few stitches in.

And thanks for the heads up on the fall knitty!

Amanda said...

Thank you, both of you!

I definitely hate seaming these sleeves -- it's bad enough with the purl/knit changes along the edges, but with those decreases right at the edge....blah. I thought about moving the decreases in a bit when I knit the sleeves, but I couldn't think of a way to do it without messing with the stitch pattern (and ultimately making the whole thing just as complicated as it already was!).

Stacey said...

That sweater looks beautiful! I plan on making my own, so I look forward to seeing your changes. :)

Melissa said...

Wow, it looks great. I'm kind of dreading the whole seaming thing, but I'll worry about that when I get there. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

gkg said...

I can't believe how quickly you work on things! I'm doing my first sweater and the sleeves are killing me. I thought they were afterthoughts because my arms aren't as big as my body, but they're taking forever.