Thursday, August 30, 2007

Somebody stop me before I hurt myself.

Please?

It's a good thing I rarely buy anything beyond groceries. Okay, I spend way, way too much money at my neighborhood bakery, a place I will miss quite possibly more than any other once I move to Chicago. For those of you in the area, I highly recommend...well, everything. You can't go wrong.

Anyway, where was I? Oh, yes. I found out months ago that the entire Jaeger line of yarn was being discontinued. Not long afterwards, WEBS put their Jaeger inventory on closeout. My sole experience with their yarns was when I knit the L'il Red Riding Hoodie with Extra Fine Merino Chunky, which is a lovely, squishy, soft yarn. Yeah, it pills, but that's the price you pay for such soft fiber.

I was very responsible and managed to not buy any of this closeout yarn. And then Ravelry reared it's ugly head (note to self: stop frequenting the yarn forum) and I heard about a sale on eBay. Cheaper than WEBS (slightly), and free shipping.

You know where this is going, don't you?

I now have the yarn to make this:


Pretty, isn't it? This is the Seashell Shrug from Runway Knits. All patterns in the book call for Karabella yarn (not surprisingly, as the designer is the founder of the company). Now, I've knit with Aurora 8 (the recommended yarn for this pattern) and I love it, but I can't afford 19 balls of it at suggested retail. A shame, since this (and the Roman Candle turtleneck, which is made out of an even more expensive yarn) is the sweater that drew me to the book.

However, thanks to Ravelry and eBay, I have two bags of discontinued Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Aran in Derby (charcoal) on its way to me from the UK. Dark gray is a little boring, but I'm going for maximum wardrobe versatility, here.

Exciting. As long as I can manage to knit it. Lately, it seems I've developed a knack for selecting patterns with lots of tedious knitting...

...speaking of, I've completed the back of the Minimalist Cardigan and am about halfway through one of the fronts. It's getting there. I have a sinking feeling that by the time I get to the sleeves, I'm going to need some serious willpower to slog my way through to the end.

9 comments:

itsjustmeghan said...

that sweater is beautiful! now i feel the need to hunt on ebay for yarn, and see if i can get my hands on the pattern as well. i've wanted to knit one of those circular shrugs for a while.

Adrienne said...

What a beautiful sweater. I can't wait to see yours!

Virtuous said...

Yeah wellI lost my mind over at WEBS! LOL

You will do that sweater justice! Can't wait to see it!

Amanda said...

That looks like the perfect cozy sweater to start right before fall gets here. I love the collar.

Octopus Knits said...

Ooo, that'll be gorgeous!

CraftyGryphon said...

Well, it was a bargain. And you were good and resisted ONCE - what do the yarn gods expect, that you'll resist ALL temptation? You stopped at just two bags the *second* time you found it. That's better than I ever do!

crystal said...

Haha, great! Now I had to buy some yarn, too ;) Thanks for the heads up on the sales!

itsjustmeghan said...

school has you busy, huh? that or you aren't posting until you get 5 sweaters done! hahaha

Amanda said...

Yeah, it's been pretty crazy around here. I have one sleeve to go on the Minimalist Cardigan. Moss stitch is slooooooow! I'm going to try to post soon, though -- I'm happy with the sweater so far...