Saturday, August 25, 2007

I hate the summer.

I said this once in front of a group of coworkers, and they looked at me like I had just exclaimed "I eat kittens!"

(Insert Futurama quote here: "Kittens give Morbo gas.")

After a blessedly, and unseasonably, cool week, we're back to typical August weather. It's humid and in the upper 90's today. I'm locked in my bedroom (the one room with a window AC), the AC cranked as high (and low) as it'll go, and I still get hot if I so much as move.

I hate this time of year.

I have no tolerance for heat. I'd take sub-zero temps over this any day (and having lived in both the snow belt and New England, I'm experienced with such weather). I'm miserable, I can't think straight, and I can't even motivate myself to knit.

However, here's a progress report on my current WIP: the Minimalist Cardigan from the Fall 2007 issue of Interweave Knits.


Moss stitch is so pretty. And so easy. And so tedious. I think it'll be worth it, though. I've made a few changes to the pattern, but nothing major. They're all linked to my preference for having a 1-stitch seam allowance (based on the pattern numbers, I think the designer uses a 1/2-stitch seam allowance). I'm using Elsebeth Lavold Classic AL as a sub, mainly because it was on clearance at WEBS. It's very nice (though I can tell it will pill). It has a similar fiber composition to the yarn called-for in the pattern, the same yardage, and almost the same gauge (the stitch gauge is different, but there's a lot of stretch to this fabric -- I assume I can just block it to the proper measurements).

I did have some concerns regarding the stockinette collar, but I'm going to have some faith and hope the collar doesn't become a rolled-up tube o' knitting. Seeing a finished version of the cardigan on the KAL blog helped to convince me to knit the collar as written in the pattern.

There's no way I'll knock this one out in the same time frame as the Bed Jacket, but I think this will see a lot more wear, and be able to span the entire range from work-wear to casual to dressy.

I can't wait for summer to get the ^$#!! out of here so I can start wearing sweaters (and knit them more comfortably)!

10 comments:

GalGreetsCity said...

Oooh! The moss stitch is SO pretty. I love that color.

Adrienne said...

Your cardi is going to be beautiful!!! Love the color!

Tanya said...

I completely agree--summer stinks!!! I would much rather put up with a New England winter and have that New England summer than do this unbearable heat.
Your sweater looks great. Mine is coming along, too...nearly done with the back.

Amanda said...

You must be an amazingly fast knitter. I am impressed.

Silvia said...

I'm not a big fan of summer either, and I live in Florida. I actually long for our days in Minnesota, especially when summer extends well into October. Lovely color for your cardign- looks wonderful!

Elizabeth said...

I love this pattern. Yours will be lovely in that color. But I must admit I'm a little put off by the moss stitch - I'm worried I'd get seriously bored while knitting it. I look forward to seeing your version, though.

itsjustmeghan said...

i love the color! and the yarn looks like it'll show the moss stitch well. can't wait to see the finished product!
as for summer? i'm SO ready for it to be over! today was 78 and it was so nice to have a cool morning. so nice, that i baked some cookies. bring on fall! i'm ready for brisk breezes, a warm cup of apple cider, and a comfy sweater.

Jory said...

I hate summer also. I'm from Michigan and am in North carolina for grad school and hate the summers here. We've had weather in the 100's what seems like everyday for several weeks so far.

I am de-lurking here. I love your blog and your knitting. That cardigan looks very pretty.

-Jory

Knitmoi said...

Oooh Oooh, I'm de-lurking too. Your knitting is beautiful! I can't believe how fast you knit. Everything looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see the cardi finished. Moss stitch is beautiful, but oh-so boring.

Amanda said...

Thanks everyone! And welcome to the de-lurking Jory and knitmoi!

I don't think I'm a fast knitter so much as a person who can't sit still -- if I have the TV on, I'm either a)eating, b)on my laptop, or c)knitting. So, I knit a LOT. And yeah, the moss stitch is officially tedious. I've moved on to the fronts, though, so the stockinette portions are a nice change of pace.