Monday, August 13, 2007

Fad Classic.

Or, "How Amanda Got Her Groove Back"

(Sorry, that was bad).


Stats:
Pattern: Fad Classic, by Knit and Tonic (clearly, I love her patterns), size XS
Yarn: Tahki Cotton Classic in Peacock Blue (shade# 3784), just under 5 skeins
Needles: KnitPicks Options Circulars, US 6 and 4, Addi Turbo Circulars US 4 (16") for armhole finishing
Date Started: I can't remember....sometime in July
Date Finished: August 12, 2007

Modifications:
While I used the stitch numbers for the smallest size, I used the size S directions for length (ie, knit the straps X inches before increasing, etc). I also changed the decreases: I used mirrored decreases (instead of just k2tog), spaced them further apart (decreases were 2 pattern repeats apart, or one decrease round every eight rounds), and did more of them (5 in total). I skipped the waist increases entirely. Hey, cotton stretches out! This thing is a little snug now, but I doubt it'll stay that way. I also added about an inch and a half of length to the vest before starting the ribbing.

I really like this top. I didn't really like knitting it. Like many knitters, I get bored by endless stockinette: So, I pick a project like this one, with either a funky stitch pattern or cables or whatever. And of course, by the time I'm halfway through the project, I start fantasizing about plain stockinette. Knitting this thing was slow. I'm not entirely sure why...yeah, I had a lot going on in my life, which ate into my knitting time, but the knitting itself seemed slow. Especially compared to how quickly my new project is moving (I started the Bed Jacket from Knitting Lingerie Style yesterday and have already completed the back).

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with the pattern. I enjoyed the seamless construction (even if I can't stand picking-up stitches from a provisional cast-on), I was pleasantly surprised by Cotton Classic (and very pleasantly surprised to see that even with this vibrant color, the yarn did not bleed at all in the wash), and the fit is perfect (for now).

11 comments:

Susan said...

Fabulous job! Great color.

Knitters-Delight

Amanda said...

Oh I love it! Maybe seeing yours finished and perfect looking will inspire me to fix mine.

Amanda said...

Oh I love it! Maybe seeing yours finished and perfect looking will inspire me to fix mine.

Amanda said...

Thanks, Susan and Amanda!

Amanda, it's definitely worth it. I find it funny how happy I am with this, given how unhappy I was while working on it (which, again, had everything to do with my state of mind and not having the mental stamina to deal with anything remotely complicated). One thing I'd suggest is that you should try it on as you go (if you aren't already), since a lot of people have tweaked the waist-shaping on this -- that really helped me to decide to add more decreases and skip the increases.

Octopus Knits said...

It looks great!

allie said...

You did a great job on the Fad Classic! I love the color. You'll have to post your changes for the Bed Jacket. I'm planning on knitting that pattern for my mom's birthday next August and she's very petite, like you, so it'd be great to have another knitter's thoughts!

goodkarma said...

So cute! Clearly, your modifications worked well for you; it fits just right. And the vest looks super cute with the little tee underneath.

Team Knit ! said...

Your vest is gorgeous!! I've been looking for the perfect sweater vest for winter, and after seeing yours, I think I might have found it!

Robin said...

Very cute! I haven't seen too many FOs of this pattern - I like yours.

itsjustmeghan said...

so cute! now i'm adding this to the pile of things i need to knit!

Kamika said...

I really like this! Color and all.