Saturday, July 14, 2007

And it all comes to a crashing halt.

I knew it would happen, but it makes me sad, regardless.

Life has finally interrupted my knitting. Most of you know that I'm in graduate school. Well, I've been here a long time, and I'm nearing the end. I have papers to write, a dissertation to finish, and now I've got some deadlines approaching. I've managed about 10 rounds on Fad Classic in the last 5 days.

Wah!

Even though I won't finish all that much in the next few months (or at least the next 3 weeks), I'm still thinking about knitting. I spend far too much time thinking about knitting.

Even with all of my works-in-progress, I'm thinking about what I'd like to make next...

The Bed Jacket from Knitting Lingerie Style: if you haven't seen it already, you have to check out this version -- she did an absolutely incredible job. I have the yarn for it (Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Candy Apple), I have a reason to wear it (a wedding in September), and...no time. Oops.

The Bubble Pullover from Knitting Nature. This version is great -- I like the slimmer fit. I'm thinking of using Cascade 220 for this. I don't need super-soft merino for it (I'd always wear something under it), Cascade 220 wears like iron (if I make this, I want it to last forever), and it really is softer than you'd think.

This funky DROPS pattern. I have a bag of teal Debbie Bliss Baby Alpaca Silk that I got super-cheap. But I only have the one bag. Which isn't enough for something with long sleeves.

Bloom from Rowan 36. Already have the yarn for it (Felted Tweed in Phantom). No way am I making those flowers. Blech. I don't like the side seams, so I'm thinking of grafting them instead for a seamless top.

Ash, also from Rowan 36. I have the yarn (same stuff as in the photo), but I'm thinking of modifying this pattern, too. When I looked at it closely, the back doesn't have a traditional neckline (it's a "V"). Um, no?

The Turtleneck Shrug from Scarf Style. This is so unbelievably wacky to me, and I thought it looked a little...uh...stupid when I first got the book, but man, it's grown on me. I can't tell you how many times I don't want to put on a sweater, but could use something to warm my arms and shoulders. I have some Kid Classic in Victoria (an eggplant shade) for this (yes, I hit the Richesse Online sale, why do you ask?).

Rutabaga from the Spring 2007 Knitscene. Just because I'd love to have a little grocery bag so I can stop adding to the colossal collection of paper and plastic bags at home (can't bear to throw 'em out). I think this project would be the perfect opportunity to play with some hemp yarn (I love Cotton Fleece, which is what the pattern calls for, but I want something rugged for this).

I also want to make a slouchy hat...not sure which pattern I'll go with yet, though.

And then there's the Brea Bag, Forecast, Absorba, blah blah blah...not to mention all the summery stuff that I want to make but will probably shelve until next spring.

And then there are the holiday gifts.

Stupid school.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Amanda, how are you? I don’t think I had started knitting at the time we had dinner. If I was doing anything at all it was making a garter stitch scarf that turned out a little odd. I’m sure I don’t remember you saying you were a big knitter. If we had dinner tonight, I would bug you the entire time for pattern and yarn suggestions.

I just read through your entire blog... even reading about other people knitting is addictive. How long have you been knitting? I love that you have made a bunch of garments, I am a little nervous to get into that. It seems like a big commitment, time and financial. Actually, I just bought yarn to try my first sweater.. well sweater vest actually. Hopefully it goes well.

Thank you for the pattern suggestion for Jim’s gloves. I’ve looked at that pattern but I suppose have always gone to something else because of the (in my opinion) ugly embroidery. Looking back at it again, the pattern for the gloves themselves is exactly what he wants. He suggested that for Christmas, I make him a sweater. Ha! That would take me months… he isn’t a small man after all. He will be satisfied with gloves, this year at least.

Secret said...

I do hope school gives you a little time soon. The things you want to knit are all lovely and will suit you well. Happy Knitting and goody goody that school is almost done for you...

allie said...

Such a great list of patterns to knit and your FO's are always beautiful. So sorry school is taking up all your time right now, but hopefully knitting a few rows on the Fad Classic will keep you sane.
As for the slouchy hat, I made Wendy Bernard's Le Slouch (available for FREE on the Knit and Tonic sidebar) and it's my favorite hat!
Good luck in school, knitting, and life for now!!

The Amy said...

I hate when things get in the way, but at least the thesis stuff is (relatively) temporary and then you can get back to the knitting!

Amanda said...

So, Jim and Mat had a conversation today and I heard it went like this:
"hey, our girlfriends found each other's blogs"
"I know"
"all Amanda does it knit."
"that is all my Amanda does!"

Later that night Jim said, "Hey, when Amanda finally moves to Chicago you two should open a yarn store. Then you two can play together and Mat and I can play together!"

I thought it was funny.