Friday, May 4, 2007

Rusted Root.

This is the fourth Zephyr Style design I've knitted. I think I've got the hang of it now....


Stats:
Pattern: Rusted Root, by Zephyr Style, size...um, more on that later.
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Berry, about 2 and 1/4 skeins
Needles: Knitpicks Options Circulars, size US 6 for body, US 4 for ribbing
Start Date: April 21
End Date: May 2

Modifications:
I made up my own size. You see, the XS? Bust size 28"-32". The S? Bust size 32"-35". Me? My bust is 32". Now, I don't like my clothes very tight, but I don't like them loose, either. So, I basically did my total raglan increases somewhere between the XS and S, and worked out the math for placing the sleeve increases for the poufs. When I took the sleeve stitches off the needles, I had 152 stitches left (XS would have had 140, S would have had 160).



I did more waist shaping than called for, and spaced the decreases further apart (and did SSK and K2tog instead of K2tog on both sides of the sweater) -- all in all, I did 7 sets of decreases (leaving me with 138 stitches, divisible by 3, so I didn't have to make any last-minute increases or decreases when I got to the ribbing) and spaced each set 5 rows apart.

I lengthened the body ribbing slightly -- I believe I did 16 rows. FYI, I did 13 repeats of the lace pattern.

Did a sewn bind-off for the body of the sweater -- I think it's easier to get a good, stretchy edge with this method than with a traditional bind-off.

For the neckline, I did 8 decreases after picking-up stitches -- I placed them where the raglan increases were -- this was my second time doing the neckline, and these decreases made the neckline look a little "neater" and kept it from rolling.

In the end, I'd say I'm pretty happy with this sweater. I think it fits a little better than Green Gable does, and it definitely behaves better (no ribbed edges flipping up, no curling necklines, no cutting-off the circulation to my arms, etc). I'll admit that I am a little bummed that the sleeves don't look as great as they do in the Zephyr pictures, but I'm not surprised by it at all (I've seen a lot of finished Rusted Roots, and none of them have sleeves that pouf just so). The only way I can get close to that look is by popping my arm out like the model does in the pics (I should have known!). Regardless, I still see myself getting a lot of wear out of this sweater. It feels good to be at a point where a lot of the garments I knit actually make it onto my body and out of my apartment.

7 comments:

Romi said...

It looks great on you!

Michelle said...

Looks great on you! I got here from SKC, It fits you perfectly! I'm anxious to start mine, but I have to finish my Sahara first!

Great color too BTW!

Olga said...

Also here from SKC...it looks beautiful on you! Good for you for figuring out your own custom fit. I'm having that trouble right now as I start Sahara, but I just decided to go with the smaller size since I figured it would stretch out anyway. I give you credit for actually doing some maths!

Robin said...

Looks like it fits you perfectly, and I love the color! Great work!

Teri said...

The sweater looks great!

I see that you have the Indigo Ripples Skirt in the queue to knit up soon.

I just started a KAL for this skirt and would love to have you join us.

Here is the link:

www.indigorippleskal.blogspot.com

jenna said...

All the modifications were worth it---It looks like it fits perfectly! You pick the best patterns. :)

Amanda said...

Thanks, everyone!