Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Starksy.


Man, of all the things to do for this sweater, who knew that the belt would take so much time to knit?

I'm very, very happy with how this came out (see the smile?). It's soft and cozy, and will make a terrific spring/fall jacket, or just something comfy to wear around the house/lab.

Stats:
Pattern: Starsky, Winter 2005 Knitty, size S
Yarn: Handpaintedyarn.com Bulky Merino, approximately 6-7 skeins. Color: Pearl Ten
Needles: KnitPicks Options size 10, and Addi Turbo 16" circulars, size 9
Start Date: February 18
End Date: March 11 (there was a week and a half in there where I didn't touch this thing)

Modifications:
Altered the bottom ribbing so it would align with the columns of knit stitches bordering the cable motif (basically, I made it a K3,P4 ribbing).
Used short rows and a three needle bind-off for the shoulders
Altered the spacing of the sleeve increases to better match my row gauge
Added 1-1.5 inches in length to the body of the sweater
Shortened the belt by 8 inches (could have shortened it a little more, too)
Grafted the belt loop ends to the sweater instead of sewing bound off edges
Added one set of short row wraps/turns to the collar (again, to make up for my row gauge)



Again, I am very pleased with how this came out. The pattern was very well-written, and the sweater was a surprisingly quick knit (ah, bulky yarn). I'm glad that the varigated yarn didn't overpower the cable motif (in my opinion -- this colorway is relatively subtle). I hope that this yarn holds-up better than worsted-weight Malabrigo over time (in regards to pilling and such) -- I think it will, due to its 6-ply construction. I generally do not knit many garments out of bulky weight yarn (the exception being hats and scarves), but I am already thinking about what else I can make with this stuff...

8 comments:

LaSandri said...

truly gorgeous! i've been eyeing this baby myself, but i'm not patient enough to knit a sweater (a 3/4 done sweater sitting in my closet is testimony to that) but i think you did an amazing job! i love the purple :)

lasandri
www.sandrisuperstar.com

Amanda said...

Thank you! If this sweater called for a lighter-weight yarn, I'm not sure I would have been able to finish it -- I don't have the best attention span.

Faith! said...

This turned out so nicely! I like it much better than the origional- the color you use really updates it and makes it look less like something you could stumble across at a thrift shop. Great job!

Jordana said...

Beautifully made! It really looks fabulous.

Amanda said...

Thank you, everyone! Big compliment coming from Starsky's designer -- I'm very flattered. Thanks for such a great pattern!

Mary said...

Gorgeous. LOVE the yarn colorway.

Ilix said...

Congrats on a great sweater! I agree that colourway is great for this sweater!

Eirene said...

How pretty! The colour is very well chosen, it suits you nicely. :)