Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Lady Eleanor.

Or, what to do with the Silk Garden collecting dust in your closet.

So, ages ago, I bought 9 skeins of Silk Garden to make Klaralund. I even knitted-up one of those skeins. About two years later, I realized that I was never going to finish that sweater (though looking at that photo, I'm having second thoughts). I tend towards fitted sweaters, and I usually don't go for vibrant multicolored stripes. What to do with all that yarn, then?

Stats
Pattern: Lady Eleanor, from Scarf Style
Yarn: Noro Silk Garden, No. 211, 9 skeins (8.5 for body, 0.5 for fringe)
Needles: KnitPicks Options Circulars, Size US 8, crochet hook of random size (I didn't have the size called for, so I used one a size down, and made sure to crochet loosely)
Time to Complete: 2 weeks
Modifications: None, really. I did more repeats of Tiers 1 and 2, and that was it.
Finished Dimensions (excluding fringe): 20" x 66"

I love this thing. Nothing I've ever made has gotten as many positive comments as this has (though the Kittyville Hat comes close -- but I'd say that gets comments for cuteness, not necessarily beauty/skill). I never thought this would be my style, but seeing all the finished versions online convinced me to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

I can't say I enjoyed knitting with Silk Garden -- the stuff is not exactly kind to one's hands (and then you have the "knots in the skein" thing, which is a whole other issue), but the finished product was lovely, and the way this stuff transformed in the wash (Eucalan) was amazing. No other word for it.

2 comments:

Mat said...

hawt.

Laura said...

Gorgeous Lady E! I look forward to seeing more of your projects. :)